Energy Certificate

The Royal Decree of April 5th 235/2013 that approves the basic procedure for building performance certifications.

The Decree affects the obligation to make available to the buyers and / or tenants of buildings an energy performance certificate which must include objective information about the energy efficiency of a building and reference values such as energy requirements in order that the owners or tenants of the building or unit to compare and assess their efficiency energy. Thus, evaluating and comparing the energy performance of buildings will favour the promotion of energy-efficient buildings and energy saving investments.

In addiction, this Royal Decree helps to inform the CO2 emissions by using energy from emission sources in the sector residential, which will facilitate the adoption of measures to reduce emissions and improve the energy rating of buildings.

When buildings or units were sold or rented, the energy performance certificate or a copy of it must be forwarded to the purchaser or potential new tenant in the terms set out in the basic method. The certificate is included in an Autonomic Registry and is valid for ten years. The Certificate must be present in every piece of promotional material, which encourages people to buy or rent the building, house or commercial premises, and also must be available to interested parties in the form of a digital tag when any property is put on the market.

This law began the 1st of June, all buildings, houses and commercial premises that are sold or rented must have an Energy Performance Certificate, which can only be issued after assessment by accredited energy technician.

An architect, engineer or quantity surveyor can issue the Energy Performance Certificate. They will access the property and rate it from “A” to “G” according to how energy efficient is.
Not to have this certificate will be a breach of the Royal Decree and will incur sanctions.


What is an energy performance certificate?

It is a report that describes how efficient a home is in terms of energy consumption and also gives recommendations on how to save money and make your home more efficient. It assigns an energy rating to each home on a scale, which ranges from "A" (the most efficient) to "G" (the less efficient).


Who needs to get an energy certificate?

All property owners wishing to sell or to rent their properties must have an EPC.


Can I sell or rent without an energy certificate?

No. The certificate must be included in the documentation, which the owner has to make available to the buyer or tenant. Therefore, an original copy of the certificate must be available before the transaction.


Is the energy certificate needed for all buildings?

No. There are a few exceptions:

a) Buildings and monuments officially protected as part of a designated environment or because of their special architectural or historic.

b) Buildings or parts of buildings used exclusively as places of worship and for religious activities.

c) Temporary buildings with a planned time of use exceeding two years.

d) Industrial buildings, defence and agricultural or parts thereof, in the part for workshops, industrial processes, defence and non-residential agricultural.

e) Buildings or parts of buildings insulated with a total useful floor area of less than 50 m2.

f) Building purchased for major renovations or demolition.


How long is the energy certificate valid for?

The certificate is valid for 10 years. This means owners will not have to obtain a new certificate during this period unless they renovate or change the property in any way.

If you require additional information: Francisco Javier Verdú Baeza   [email protected]